Kobe is known internationally for the beef but actually in Japan, people say that Kobe Beef is the 3rd best after Matsuzaka and Ohmi Beef, I tend to agree
Did you know that this industry is in danger. with the ageing population, less and less people want to take over the business and the average farmers’age is currently 66.
Kobe is also known to be the bread and cakes city as it is among the ports that first opened to foreigners (Dutch and Portuguese) together with Nagasaki and you find there delicious cakes
Like Kyoto, Nara is known for the Tsukemono, pickled vegetables, they have wonderful traditional shops in the main street for this with all sorts of pickles and employees preparing them in the back of the shop, enjoy, there are worth the taste
Japan also produces Manju – biscuit filled with An, a red bean (asuki) paste, the shape varies with the season, it is always a delicious break
2 countries in the world cook and have a culture of mouloukheyah – Egypt and Japan!
what a surprise when I was offered this dish in Kobe recently, it was delicious and I recommend you try it out. it came with rice and had a sweet taste, very very nice!!
fancy a matchi mochi?? delicious!!
Thank you Zeynep for sharing and detailing your experience. very useful!
- Hotel Mielparque: very nice and cool hotel, comfortable, 3mn walk from Shin-Osaka station (shinkansen)
- FP Hotel: also very good hotel, with large rooms, the area is not the nicest but has excellent connections (1mn walk from JR Shin-Imamiya and 3 min from metro Doobutsuenmae)
- Via Inn Hotel Umeda: this hotel only opened in Late July 2017, breakfast included in the rate, very good location at the end of the 1st shopping arcade within the Osaka Station, Umeda station (exit on the side of Hankyu building)
- Holiday Inn Namba to be in the heart of the Namba area
- I really enjoy staying at ANA Crowne Plaza in the heart of the Dojima area, plenty of restaurants, izakaya, sushi bars
- for the unique luxury experience, no doubt I would go to InterContinental, the rooms are amazing, vast, bright, beautiful bathroom, but also they have a Japanese bath area and a real gym
One more lovely discover in Japan. Did you know that Japanese have a complete different approach to sweet.
Most of the desserts are based on asuki paste, an, red bean paste. or are sweetened with sweet potato. it is a very interesting and new taste, of course very different from our European buds but once you have gone past this, it is actually delicious
Last week, as I was preparing to travel, my friend Akiko prepared 2 cakes for me that I could carry on the train
a steamed plum cake (yes steamed) and a chocolate and cinnamon – sweet potato cake, very very good, I have the recipes and will bake them, really such a nice discovery
Japanese people have a fascination to strawberries. the season is in May,june but there is an unofficial season from December to February as it is very trendy to have them for the end of the year celebrations and Valentine’s day
restaurants launch strawberry festival, strawberry high tea menu, all sorts